Floor drain P-trap

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Floor drain P-trap

Postby scudman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:19 am

Is there any reason this underground P-trap will not work for a floor drain? Is there a better way to do it?
Along the same line. Anyone had any luck finding AAVs (Air Admittance Valve) at Thai Watsadu or Home Pro or anywhere else?
Attachments
Floor Drain P trap.jpg
User avatar
scudman
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Phuket, Cherng Talay district.

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:42 am

scudman wrote:Anyone had any luck finding AAVs (Air Admittance Valve) at Thai Watsadu or Home Pro or anywhere else?

I have two in my toilet systems both on 45 degree bends and concealed in the walls. They are freely available at most plumbing suppliers, but you have to ask.
I'll try and post a photo from my building thread. If you look at the third photo down you'll see the nipple at the top of the 45 degree bend. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=630
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:02 pm

I’ve never seen AAVs in Thailand have them in my house but brought them over from Canada. You could try taking a photo of one to the big box stores but it might be easier to get a buddy to send you some. I think RR was referring to a toilet vent tee.

Your “P” trap will work fine. Maybe it would be an idea instead of using the last 90 use a tee then bring it to ground level for a clean out
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2947
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby Ians » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:34 pm

On a raw sewage line I wouldn't put any trap after the toilet bowl, a toilet bowl arrangement has its own "S" bend built-in.
If using the arrangement you have shown for floor / shower waste, I recommend 45 degree bends not 90's, and if using a common waste line for sewage and floor make sure the sewage line enters AFTER the trap.
This is the arrangement I have and it works a treat - it was 45+45 a short length of pipe then 45+45.
User avatar
Ians
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Phitsanulok

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby scudman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:11 am

Ians wrote:If using the arrangement you have shown for floor / shower waste, I recommend 45 degree bends not 90's, and if using a common waste line for sewage and floor make sure the sewage line enters AFTER the trap.
This is the arrangement I have and it works a treat - it was 45+45 a short length of pipe then 45+45.


Something like this for a shower/floor drain Ian?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
User avatar
scudman
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Phuket, Cherng Talay district.

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:41 pm

scudman, Your floor drain should run to the grey water lines (sink, shower, FD etc.) not the toilet drain using a "P" trap without the bottom cleanout.
imgres.jpg
imgres.jpg (2.78 KiB) Viewed 642 times


If you can't install the trap under shower/floor drain and have to put it outside you could use something like this. Then take two cleanouts up to ground level just in case cleaning is required.
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.04 KiB) Viewed 642 times
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2947
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby Ians » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:11 pm

scudman wrote:
Ians wrote:If using the arrangement you have shown for floor / shower waste, I recommend 45 degree bends not 90's, and if using a common waste line for sewage and floor make sure the sewage line enters AFTER the trap.
This is the arrangement I have and it works a treat - it was 45+45 a short length of pipe then 45+45.


Something like this for a shower/floor drain Ian?


Mine was arranged as per attached (rough) sketch
Attachments
20150118_150415[2].jpg
User avatar
Ians
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Phitsanulok

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby thailazer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Global house in Chiang Mai had 2 inch P traps four years ago when we built our place but not sure if they carry them now. They were quite nice with a trombone fitting that adjusted to the exact floor level you were shooting for.
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby Ians » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Ians wrote:
scudman wrote:
Ians wrote:If using the arrangement you have shown for floor / shower waste, I recommend 45 degree bends not 90's, and if using a common waste line for sewage and floor make sure the sewage line enters AFTER the trap.
This is the arrangement I have and it works a treat - it was 45+45 a short length of pipe then 45+45.


Something like this for a shower/floor drain Ian?


Mine was arranged as per attached (rough) sketch

Forgot to add, I used 4" PVC for the floor drains - easy to get a snake down if to you ever get a blockage.
User avatar
Ians
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Phitsanulok

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby thailazer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Scud.... Here are some photos of items that are available. These were bought at Global House but I have found that the folks at Home Mart are much more interested in helping you find what you need. They have massive catalogs of items and it usually takes four days for stuff to arrive from Bangkok here in Chiang Mai. Even wild stuff like spiral slotted well screen. Make a print of what you want, take it to Home Mart, and they will likely find it quickly in their catalogs. Global House found the large diameter 90's for me, but it was an arduous process. Home Mart has always been good on plumbing stuff.


P1000671.jpg
P1000005.jpg
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby scudman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:59 am

Thanks for the ideas, suggestions and pictures......I love this forum. :D
User avatar
scudman
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Phuket, Cherng Talay district.

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby pipoz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Looks a bit like mine
Attachments
Floor Drain Waste Trap 2 for in front of Vanity area (M).jpg
User avatar
pipoz
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Udon Thani Sometimes

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby thailazer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:18 pm

pipoz wrote:Looks a bit like mine

It certainly does! In four years in our house, we never had a bit of smell come up from the drains or from outside. Now we are in a nicely build rental house with some nice refinements, but it is all for naught as they did not use any traps in the drains so the smell comes up in the bathrooms.
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby scudman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Talking to contractor today again about P-traps. He wants to run the two floor drains together and then to one P-trap before it goes to the sewer. I can't think of why that would be a problem but thought I would ask here if anyone sees an issue with that.
User avatar
scudman
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Phuket, Cherng Talay district.

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:12 am

scudman wrote:Talking to contractor today again about P-traps. He wants to run the two floor drains together and then to one P-trap before it goes to the sewer. I can't think of why that would be a problem but thought I would ask here if anyone sees an issue with that.


Standard is that each outlet has its own P- trap & don't forget that you need to ventilate after each trap to avoide the water being siphoned out of the trap.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Next

Return to water and plumbing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest