solar powered waterpump

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

solar powered waterpump

Postby popup » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Hello all ,

Just about to start building a house in the Khon Kaen area but want to drill a water well first .
Anybody have experience with solar powered water pumps ??
I looked around on a lot of threads but can't seem to find any information .
Will start a thread with the house build at a later stage .

Thanks , Paul
popup

Re: solar powered waterpump

Postby Ians » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:55 pm

http://www.solarpumps.com.au/category16_1.htm
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gru ... &FORM=IGRE

This might do you as a starter.

Probably not cheap and obtaining suitable solar panels in Thailand could be a problem -
what do you do an a wet overcast day and during the evening?
Ians

Postby schuimpge » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Solar deep well pumps are in the 25k THB range.
Pump free daytime, store in a tank and use another smaller 12v pump for the night on a battery.
I am running 2 15A (max) pumps on a 125Ah battery with a 140w panel. Never even got below a full signal.
One of them is filling a tank 10 meters up in the air with no sweat, even the local water supply in Pathum has trouble to catch up when it's running...
There's plenty of solar installators here.. Check the Internet.
Very good info site: www.leonics.com

Also.. Search for my fellow Dutch guy, Sjeng..
That's a very good thread on solar in thailand

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby popup » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks for the info , will keep you updated .
popup

Postby popup » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:45 am

I hope i can post finaly .
popup

Postby popup » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:47 am

lets see if the pictures get trough
Attachments
pff 432.jpg
popup

Postby popup » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:54 am

So we found a guy who can do the drilling for us as you can see in the previous picture .
45 meter deep and 40000 baht with a hand pump .....
It looks like there is plenty water .
looked around for a solar guy and found a few who would give me some ridiculous prices and not for the things i was asking for but i guess its "Thai style"
So for now i bought a submersible pump with a generator to run it until i find some more time and inspiration to deal with these solar sharks.
Attachments
pff 434.jpg
popup

Postby PNGeo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:51 pm

Any update on this? I am keen to hear how you set it up.

In addition to our coffee/avocado farm on the Bolaven Plateau, we also picked up some rice farming land right on the Mekong, just north of Pakse. Our first visit to that block was during the dry season and we were standing on the river bank enjoying the view when I asked my wife why nobody was doing a winter rice crop in that area. I couldn't believe it when she told me the reason is because there is no water!!! There we were, looking down on the biggest river system in SE Asia and the locals reckon they cannot do a winter crop due to lack of water!

I have been thinking abut a solar powered pump system to keep a steady water supply up to the rice fields but so far have not found anything that looks to be realistically priced, so I'm interested to know where you are at with your system.
PNGeo

Postby Ians » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:02 pm

PNGeo wrote:Any update on this? I am keen to hear how you set it up.

In addition to our coffee/avocado farm on the Bolaven Plateau, we also picked up some rice farming land right on the Mekong, just north of Pakse. Our first visit to that block was during the dry season and we were standing on the river bank enjoying the vi

Wew when I asked my wife why nobody was doing a winter rice crop in that area. I couldn't believe it when she told me the reason is because there is no water!!! There we were, looking down on the biggest river system in SE Asia and the locals reckon they cannot do a winter crop due to lack of water!

I have been thinking abut a solar powered pump system to keep a steady water supply up to the rice fields but so far have not found anything that looks to be realistically priced, so I'm interested to know where you are at with your system.

What is reasonable price, you get what you pay for, buy cheap crap and that's what you get, cheap crap. If you can't afford a solar powered pump look at a quality diesel generator / pump installation.
Ians

Postby MGV12 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:47 pm

My well is around 70M [the pump level is around 50M] and my 1HP Franklin does the job for me ... but anything less would be inadequate.

As I look forward to the day when whole-house PV [including storage] is available at a price that makes it a 'no-brainer' [and not just for the likes of those who bought the first generation Prius] I will be there. Will that next-generation technology enable water to be lifted from 50M or more with sufficient pressure to do what we need? At this time a PV solar deep well pump appears to be only attractive to the likes of those first-generation Prius owners.

If you know different you will have a good audience here.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby schuimpge » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:24 am

Price point is one consideration of many. It will cost you a lot more upfront, 2 HP deep well pump with 9 panels and inverter is advertised at 137,000 Baht at Amorn Solar. Is that a viable price-point? Depends on a lot of things. Pretty sure that pump does not run all day, so with storage tanks after the pump, you would have excess energy to feed into your house for daytime use.
Mind you, no batteries in this setup. But 2 HP 220v pump looks like strong enough for your situation if you currently run a 1HP pump.
Of course, also to consider is the brand of the pump, which I can't verify from here. But again, rated at 2HP and 30GPM, it should well enough suit your needs.

Cheers,
Luc

Disclaimer, I've no interest or relationship with Amorn. lol
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:46 am

Everyone is talking about solar power to pump water. I haven't heard mention wind power at all. If you look anywhere in Australia you'll see all deep well pumps are powered by wind. You can buy most of the working parts in any good hardware store and then all you need is a well and welder. To turn it off all you do is disconnect/unhook the plunger or use the excess water for irrigation. I reckon I could build one for less than 30,000 baht at the most. Then it's all free except for replacing the washers when they perish.
If you have a tap and die set all you need to do is make connections every 10 feet for ease of lifting the whole pump.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:26 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Everyone is talking about solar power to pump water.

Probably because this thread is about them :wink: start your own thread :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby schuimpge » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:48 am

Totally forgot the OP was asking info indeed..

http://www.amornsolar.com/en/promotion-pumpsolar.php

Gives a bit of an idea on prices.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:48 pm

schuimpge wrote:Totally forgot the OP was asking info indeed..

http://www.amornsolar.com/en/promotion-pumpsolar.php

Gives a bit of an idea on prices.

Cheers,
Luc

Amorn do seem to be better than most ... which doesn't say a whole lot unfortunately as their staff often appear to be clueless at times.

Asked my lovely to call in for the simplest of requests .... 3.5mm micro jack to twin female RCA adapter. Provided both picture and Thai translation.

Imagine my joy in seeing through the packaging ... 3.5mm micro jack to [quite lengthy] male RCA cables with male ends. "Cables much better than adapter" apparently; shame about the sex-change.

MGV12

Next

Return to water and plumbing