Tank and pump

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Tank and pump

Postby condee » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:09 am

Hi,
me and my thai wife we build a small house in a small isaan village. Water (the blue public water supply line) and also electricity are already border tot he land. My wife said the village will always lock the water after 10:00 pm. So, for safety we want to set a water storage tank with pump beside the house.
What kind of Tank you will advice (metal, plastic or…?). And how many liters should it be for a 2 person househould? Do i need just only one pump, mean from tank to inside house, ist that right?
In case i just only use the water for take shower, hand wash, cleaning dish and and for cooking do is need any filter System? In case it would be better for set a filter, where exactly i have to place (before the water go inside the tank or between tank and pump….or….?)
Regards
Condee
condee

Re: Tank and pump

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:45 am

condee wrote:Hi,
me and my thai wife we build a small house in a small isaan village. Water (the blue public water supply line) and also electricity are already border tot he land. My wife said the village will always lock the water after 10:00 pm. So, for safety we want to set a water storage tank with pump beside the house.
What kind of Tank you will advice (metal, plastic or…?). And how many liters should it be for a 2 person househould? Do i need just only one pump, mean from tank to inside house, ist that right?
In case i just only use the water for take shower, hand wash, cleaning dish and and for cooking do is need any filter System? In case it would be better for set a filter, where exactly i have to place (before the water go inside the tank or between tank and pump….or….?)
Regards
Condee

Our house hold is the same we had a 2,000 litre plastic tank with a pump after it, we have added another 2,000 plastic tank for the dry season. A filter before the tank is best if you keep to clean and the supply presure is high enough.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Yes, I also think that such a plastic tank 2,000 L is OK, can be bought at TW or GH, there are also other smaller local shops, more or less all the same.

The tanks are mostly sold with a ball valve included that stops the water income when the tank is full. A small pump with automatic pressure switch keeping the water pressure in the house system constant (more or less) will take the water from the storage tank. A filter after the pump is recommended. The water coming from village is not always very clean. Beside, there is always certain content of iron in the water. So, the iron residue will have a time for settling in your tank, hence, it will not contaminate your filter and will not penetrate into the house system. The settlement in the tank can be drained after some time by the lower outlet of the tank. For that a valve (1") should be installed - instead of the included threaded stopper.

The tanks have mostly one more outlet ca. 10 cm higher than the bottom, this is for the outlet to the house system (or to the pump). Here also a valve should be installed to be free for making any amendment later on.

It is good to have another tank for collecting rain water from roof gutters. Also here you can expect a lot of dust from the roof that can settle before the water will be led to e.g. tank with the village water.

As a water filter a pressure vessel (ca. 1.5m high) filled in by a sand (a normal river sand is enough) should be used, as you can see at many houses with their own well. Nowadays, a second-hand vessel can be bought for a reasonable price since many villages are connected to water system, so people do not need it (provided that the water pressure is OK). It does not need to be necessarily by stainless steel. It is mostly furnished by few valves enabling to reverse the water flow instead from top to bottom in the opposite way and backwash it after some time. You will be surprised how much dirt has been collected in the sand after some time. Especially, when the storage tank will be (should be) sanitized by a chlorin addition (e.g. once a week), otherwise the long standing storage water can be a good breeding place for bakterias.

The plastic filter for swimming pools as is sold at GH for 7,500 Baht, can be also used for this purpose, the included ventil on the top enables the backwashing.
Klondyke

Postby pattayapope » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:26 pm

I would also raise it one and a half meters using the concrete rings and fill with either sand or soil and cap the top with concrete then put the tank on top this way you will always have a supply of water if the power fails or you pump has a problem.
pattayapope

Return to water and plumbing