Improving the quality of bore water with iron contamination

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Improving the quality of bore water with iron contaminat

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Klondyke wrote:
Klondyke wrote:And subsequently, I am adding some 1 kg of a wonder substance - ALUM - that is ammonia alum sulphate - luckily you get it in Thailand everywhere under name SAAN SOM. These are available either as a large crystal like an ice or milled in a pulver, 50 kg sack for 340 Baht.

Is that the name on the sack or is it in Thai? If it's in Thai could you post a picture of the sack or the name in Thai please?

You read my advice once again - it is printed in capitals :(

I did. Thank you so much for your very kind and helpful reply![/quote]

Sorry, if you felt offended. I cannot tell you more than I did.[/quote]
I was not offended, but your answer did not answer either part of my question. And it was not answered in the earlier part of your interesting post

So to make things more simple
Is the name "SAAN SOM" printed on the sack?
If it is printed on the sack is it in Thai or English?
If it is printed in Thai could you post a picture?
Or if you can't post a picture can you write or get a Thai to write the name in Thai

I ask because it is often that not Thai speakers have dificulty communicating, but with a picture there is no problem.

It is easy to understand why we have such big problems in communication if you use google translation. With Thai you are lucky if you can understand the translation, while with Japanese although the translation isn't good English you can understand the meaning with no problem.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Now, I myself feel offended:

I am not at home, where the sack could be found,
I do not remember what exactly is written on the sack, (if ever the sack has got something written on)
I cannot write in Thai, and I do want to bother somebody with such a nonsense

Just get in a shop and speak out it in Thai or English what I advised and prepare the money what I advised.
And instead of spending a time to type how badly I satisfied you, open a google with the chemical names I advised.

Sorry for keeping you in dark. :evil:
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Klondyke wrote:Now, I myself feel offended:

Life is too short and users here are usually polite so. Plonk
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Mike Judd wrote:I guess I will have to wait until Nov on my next visit to see what the roof water looks like in the concrete tank that I built, I know the water in the 2 tanks (2 x 2,000lt) feeding from the garage roof is pretty clean , that roof and the house have the same tiles ( Excella)

Mike,
No matter what tiles or type of roof you use it all comes down to the dust. If you've ever been outback (which I'm sure you have) during a drought everything gets a layer of dust over it, in it and through it. You can't escape it all you can do is work with it. It's why we carry canvas water bags (containers) on the front of the ute and the outside of them ends up looking like red goop after 50 clicks, but the water is still good.
I'm not too sure about your below ground storage tanks. I've scrubbed enough Aussie water tanks out to know there's all sorts of things that get in them like dead rats, snakes, possums, frogs, birds etc etc and they're a lot of trouble and use gallons of water washing out the junk, then gallons more pressure washing the sides to get off the green slime and then it just fills back up with the same junk no matter how you try and stop it/them. I think you're going to have major problems there. It's why in Australia the tanks are all above ground and mostly galvanised....which keeps the rats from going up the sides....sometimes...if there's a will there's a way and rats are persistent buggers.
I think your underground tanks are going to be the biggest headache you'll have. I'd be visiting the nearest army disposal store and stocking up on chemicals (tablets) to kill all those little microbes and they'll be many many of them. And backwashing won't help that much with red dust, I spent 3 months up at Charleville and Quilpie and after the first week just stopped by the engineers water station to get red free water and other times filled my water bottles at billabongs with a pistol at the ready, then added the purification tablets that made the water taste like dirt.
And if you do have problems please don't call me, my days of scrubbing are over, but you'll need heaps of elbow grease, many bass brooms and lots of kids. I used to "enlist" the "help" of my 3 daughters suitors and then it would cost me a bar-b-que and a few cases of beer after the event. Be warned, you are in for trouble with a capital T.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:

:mrgreen: Was that Plonk the sound of the phone receiver being slammed down? :mrgreen: Love it.

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 4.01.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 4.00.51 PM.png
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm

And for good measure the all important translation. Seems like some around here are getting testy. :mrgreen:

The rain has stopped so going outside to play.

testy |ˈtestē|
adjective
easily irritated; impatient and somewhat bad-tempered.
DERIVATIVES
testily |ˈtestəlē|adverb,
testiness noun
ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense ‘headstrong, impetuous’): from Anglo-Norman French testif, from Old French teste ‘head,’ from Latin testa ‘shell.’
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 4.15.25 PM.png
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Was that Plonk the sound of the phone receiver being slammed down?

When sometimewoodworker wrote plonk I believe he was referring to poor tasting wine as in sour grapes, but I could be wrong, but not intentionally.
Bill you no longer slam phones down, that causes all those little lights and other things to go kaput! I used to have a Samsung that I plonked down and it never worked again.
You could have a lot of fun with the word plank though.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Mike Judd wrote:I guess I will have to wait until Nov on my next visit to see what the roof water looks like in the concrete tank that I built, I know the water in the 2 tanks (2 x 2,000lt) feeding from the garage roof is pretty clean , that roof and the house have the same tiles ( Excella)

You will be surprised what after the season is laying on the bottom of the clean rain water tanks.

Anyway, in all the storage tanks and the gravitation filtering tanks where the water is standing without much stream, is advisable to add within few days always a bit of chlorin, to avoid a breeding of any kind of bacteria. :twisted:

In fact, the alum itself also desinfect somehow the water.
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:40 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:

:mrgreen: Was that Plonk the sound of the phone receiver being slammed down? :mrgreen: Love it.

Thanks for the pics.

They look to give the requested info

FWIW the origin could be that I've never checked, but it's a common way of indicating the use of the kill file function.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:03 am

R.R. I'am sure I will have problems with my tank but life is full of problems I have found. The trick is to not let it worry you, just work out a solution and move on. I do have a Water Engineer mate who at one time worked on upgrading Bangkok's water supply before the Thai government canceled the project for some reason or other. I will pick his brains for advice. Putting in that tank was my only solution as far as I could see, I just could not see a guttering system working with my big U shaped house, unless I put in several tanks under the eves at different points and then linking them together in the ground. I will certainly keep you all posted on the subject.
Mike Judd

Postby Klondyke » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Additional info about treatment of ironized ground water.

Herewith pictures of the emptied sedimenation tank bottom (same tank shown before when freshly filled in) after one week when the water had been let out through the filtering cascade.
There is a leftover of ca. 5 cm clean water - the same clarity as was let out - and some kind of sedimentation lumps laying on the bottom, i.e. residua of the oxidized iron mixed with alkalines. Two water sources simultaneously used for filling in: one from drilled well at the garden (strongly ironized) and one from river bank well (clayish sedimenation).
It seems that the two very different contaminations of the water works good for each other.
Attachments
1406230060.JPG
1406230058.JPG
Klondyke

Postby oil » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Hey Hey Jan,
glad to see you around here. Your advice has always been most precious to me and your ideas always inspired me.
.... as for my building project not much happened over the raining season, hope to see you again soon
Greetings
Uli
oil

Postby Mikos » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Anyone who read my previous post on borehole water supply will know I am new to this game and have just set up a bore hole on a new build, so apologises in advance for none technical stuff. Thanks to Klondyke for his post which has confirmed to me that my highly productive bore in Northern Phetchabun is producing iron contaminated water. I did the bucket test and produced similar results.

I have been doing a fair bit of research on the subject of what I will loosely term "iron contamination"(appreciate it can invovles other contaminents/bacteria). It seems to me that I have a problem(s) if we want to use the water in the house(which is the purpose of the well).

Firstly the submersible pump and pipework will eventually get gummed up and secondly the water(left untreated) would not be suitable for use in the house. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Assuming I'm right(in the above) can someone please suggest a system of creating usuable water that does not involve the large concrete tanks etc that Klondyke has shared. Water for showering, washing etc but NOT drinking.

Some sort of commercially available filter system? A home made but compact filtering system? Your thoughts on cost effectiveness(ROI) appreciated too.

Anything I can do to protect the submersible pump in the bore? Could you treat the bore in someway perhaps?

Thank you.
If you are interested in reading about my unfolding Thai house build story it is available at http://www.thaihousebuild.thailand-blogs.com
Mikos

Postby thailazer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Mikos... Have not seen your prior thread so please provide a link. First question is... How deep is your well?

Iron and manganese in Thai wells is quite predictable.
thailazer

Postby Mikos » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:58 am

thailazer wrote:Mikos... Have not seen your prior thread so please provide a link. First question is... How deep is your well?

Iron and manganese in Thai wells is quite predictable.

The link to my previous thread is http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4692

The bore is 70m with 3" plastic liner and submersible pump. We are drawing water from about 45m at the moment. I run the pump everyday.

Thanks
If you are interested in reading about my unfolding Thai house build story it is available at http://www.thaihousebuild.thailand-blogs.com
Mikos

PreviousNext

Return to water and plumbing