How does it work water pump

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: How does it work water pump

Postby Ians » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Don't get too hung-up on the pedantic's of head-loss (friction loss) thru fittings etc.
In your case, pumping from your holding tank using the Grundfos manifold will result in an unmeasurable reduction in pressure.
Normally when calculating pipe / fitting losses you add an additional loss to your calculation for fittings, bends, elbow, valve etc based on an equivalent length of pipe -- for your Grundfos manifold if you added an extra 15ft of pipe to the calculation it will be meaningless in the overall scheme of things.
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:41 pm

In their ever cretinous ways they have decided in the village that they will remove the filter from the water supply. This means i now get 5 mm shells in the water daily blocking all my taps meaning i have to remove them.......... the reason for removing the filter??????????? kept getting blocked..............U just cant make it up here........now must get this pressure tank system up and running pronto!!
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:18 am

Well, eliminated their problem successfully and seems your problems don't count in the overall scheme which is to deliver water to your property.
Get your tank up and running, ensure you have a tapping point / outlet in the bottom to clean out the shells every so often.
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:56 am

Im eliminating the problem, I ran a direct feed to my lake bypassing the meter and all taps using a 1 inch pipe to fill my lake!!!! Ill be turning off their supply soon period
OK now Im about to start connecting my pressure tank to the well borehole............heres a rough idea of pipe layout..........do I need a non return valve at all? and does this arrangement look correct or does the valve need to be moved? is the valve ( if needed) the right side of the tank/ well pump.
There is a pressure gauge also but not shown in the photo.
Attachments
IMAG0106.jpg
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:04 am

gliffaes wrote:Im eliminating the problem, I ran a direct feed to my lake bypassing the meter and all taps using a 1 inch pipe to fill my lake!!!! Ill be turning off their supply soon period
OK now Im about to start connecting my pressure tank to the well borehole............heres a rough idea of pipe layout..........do I need a non return valve at all? and does this arrangement look correct or does the valve need to be moved? is the valve ( if needed) the right side of the tank/ well pump.

Not sure what you intend with this set-up, is there a pressure pump attached to your pressure tank?

How about sketching the whole system - this will make everything much clearer.
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:58 am

Ians wrote:
gliffaes wrote:Im eliminating the problem, I ran a direct feed to my lake bypassing the meter and all taps using a 1 inch pipe to fill my lake!!!! Ill be turning off their supply soon period

Not sure what you intend with this set-up, is there a pressure pump attached to your pressure tank?

How about sketching the whole system - this will make everything much clearer.

Borehole submersible pump feeds into pressure tank 200 litres then onto the rest of the house
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Is there a pressure pump attached to the tank?
Ians

Postby Ians » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Something wrong somewhere, are you saying that the bore pump is going to be the pressure pump as well as the supply pump?
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Ians wrote:Is there a pressure pump attached to the tank?

No the only pump is the submersible...........no other pumps anywhere in the system. same as this diagram posted a while back
Attachments
122.png
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:00 pm

I understand that system, however- think you will find that the "tank" in that arrangement is not 200litre. Such a large tank will cause you problems unless the low pressure switch on is not too far below the high pressure switch off, too wide a difference will result in too much pressure fluctuation - then - reducing the time lag between off/on of the submersible pump could lead to overheating motor problems.

I think you need to review the approach on this system or re-consider the Brio flow switch which was discussed briefly earlier.
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 pm

this is where im at............borehole on left feeds pressure tank 200 litres then goes from there into the black 1 inch hdpe pipe on the left (not connected yet) to the houses NO other pumps ............correct or do i glow my brains out?
Attachments
IMAG0111.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Ians wrote:I understand that system, however- think you will find that the "tank" in that arrangement is not 200litre. Such a large tank will cause you problems unless the low pressure switch on is not too far below the high pressure switch off, too wide a difference will result in too much pressure fluctuation - then - reducing the time lag between off/on of the submersible pump could lead to overheating motor problems.

I think you need to review the approach on this system or re-consider the Brio flow switch which was discussed briefly earlier.

The tanks Grundfos GTD 200 says 200 lits 54 gallons.............. this seems a common way to do this worldwide especially America and BKK BIll and Sirineou did the same with no problems..............not being funny but now i REALLY am confused ???
Attachments
IMAG0113.jpg
IMAG0114.jpg
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:29 pm

Don't get too concerned yet, I'm just shooting the breeze without any real thought going on other than saying about the variation in pressure could be a problem if the pump capacity is marginal.
Have you discussed this system with BKK Bill and Sir inequalities?
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:37 pm

Ians wrote:Don't get too concerned yet, I'm just shooting the breeze without any real thought going on other than saying about the variation in pressure could be a problem if the pump capacity is marginal.
Have you discussed this system with BKK Bill and Sir inequalities?

Its too late..the gun is at my head tell my Mother I'm sorry ??????????????????? booooooooom :shock:

The pressure difference will be about 20psi between on and off ( from what Ive seen ) something like 30 on 50 off with the air pressure in the tank set at 28psi 2psi lower than cut in pressure
This video showed me whats what along with a few others
Now about this "breeze" its not a Hurrricane is it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuCWx-b7Cm4

Oh yes all discussed with their highnesses in the last 8 pages.
Next job is fathom out the wiring? got 4 wires up from the well pump into a Franklin control box and the square D switch has 2 contacts and earth? hmmmmmm
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:23 pm

So onto the wiring........... I think I have to go through the franklin control box ? and the square d switch but how????
heres the photos of both.
Ignore wire colours "grey" is Earth and "blue" is yellow as couldnt get correct colour wires, all will be sleeved before installation with the correct colours............exciting isnt it!! Black and Red stay the same only grey/ blue changed from Franklins green /yellow.
The square D switch also has 2 earth points but how about 1,2,3,4? 5-6 blank not used
Attachments
wiring switch (2).jpg
franklin control box
wiring switch (1).jpg
square d switch
pump wiring colours (10).jpg
pump wiring down the bore at the pump
gliffaes

PreviousNext

Return to water and plumbing