How does it work water pump

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: How does it work water pump

Postby gliffaes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:08 am

this info also
Attachments
hurricane  pump.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 pm

am changing the pressure switch it definitely isnt working properly, i can set a cut in pressure at 30 psi but no matter how much I adjust the cut out ....it wont at any pressure.
Ill get the part Friday and fit it Monday and "hope" thats it but I see no other problem.
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:39 pm

gliffaes wrote:am changing the pressure switch it definitely isnt working properly, i can set a cut in pressure at 30 psi but no matter how much I adjust the cut out ....it wont at any pressure.
Ill get the part Friday and fit it Monday and "hope" thats it but I see no other problem.

Has the pump ever achieved the cut out pressure on the tank of 3.5 bar?
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:58 pm

Ians wrote:
gliffaes wrote:am changing the pressure switch it definitely isnt working properly, i can set a cut in pressure at 30 psi but no matter how much I adjust the cut out ....it wont at any pressure.

Has the pump ever achieved the cut out pressure on the tank of 3.5 bar?

First day I connected it yes but now it will not cut off at all I left it running this morning to see where ( if it might) cut off and I stopped it at 4.2 bar manually
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:27 pm

More questions- are you relying on the system pressure gauge to set and check the pressure - have you checked the tank air pressure at the same time?

It certainly looks like pressure switch problem - but you never know.
One other point of interest - the well might be 80 metre deep but what is the pump setting and do you know the draw - down water level with the pump in operation.
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:57 am

Ians wrote:More questions- are you relying on the system pressure gauge to set and check the pressure - have you checked the tank air pressure at the same time?

It certainly looks like pressure switch problem - but you never know.
One other point of interest - the well might be 80 metre deep but what is the pump setting and do you know the draw - down water level with the pump in operation.

I dont know anything about the pump settings I think you mean at what depth is the pump? The guy that actually put the pump in knew what he was doing so am relying on him, he cleaned the well out at the time as the man who drilled it was not so good, they blasted water down it for over 2 hours then lowered down the pump, he knew the depth of the bore. He told me it was 1000 litres an hour
I assume you mean how much can the pump pull up before it runs dry?
After it was installed I ran the pump to see how long water would come out and we got about more than an hours pumping then the water went a bit cloudy, assuming here it was reaching its limit and i switched it off, I never checked how long it took to refill.
If i can get it working Im going to try and do something like this again as for irrigation it might not supply enough water or not long enough or I might have to water half the trees in the morning let the well recover and half in the afternoon.
If I have to I can supply just the houses only and use town water for irrigation and when its off which is occasionall revert to the well if im sensible
Its a long story of my well being drilled it is in my building story viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3917
The tank supplies about 16.5 galllons per pump cycle which I measured yesterday before kicking on from 3.5 bar to 2 bar
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:55 pm

look forward to hearing the result of a new pressure switch.
Ians

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:46 am

Gliffaes was looking at some pressure tanks and remember you posting adjusting yours so thought this might be of interest.

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 11.42.40 AM.png

Did you get a new pressure switch?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby gliffaes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:08 am

Just back at the land got the new switch will fit later today if not too hot or early tomorrow morning when cooler.
Road building man after 2.5 months of delay is NOT coming...........geee thanks Pal and thanks for all the excuses for the last 2.5 months.
He leaves me with a half finished road round the pond and some lengths of metal as formwork.
Time to look for the next bunch of idiots :twisted:
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:50 pm

gliffaes wrote:Just back at the land got the new switch will fit later today if not too hot or early tomorrow morning when cooler.
Road building man after 2.5 months of delay is NOT coming...........geee thanks Pal and thanks for all the excuses for the last 2.5 months.
He leaves me with a half finished road round the pond and some lengths of metal as formwork.
Time to look for the next bunch of idiots :twisted:

With his attitude as shown- you are probably better off without him.
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 am

Hi Ian re builder yes unfortunately and its not for the want of trying he is "the best" of the locals and I mean quality of work and even then its not "that" good. If only I could find ONE decent builder he could do the main house and a whole host of other things...guess ill keep looking.

Now back to the water.......fitted new pressure switch and?????????????????/ BINGO works perfectly, cut in 2 bar cut out 3.5 most definitely the first pressure switch was duff.............. bloody annoying as u sit scratching your head wondering what "youve" done wrong despite a lot of advice and you tube videos etc
So thanks for all replies lets see if it holds up
Grundfos will replace FOC after they have checked it.
It still came with no box or instructions
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Looks like a good result.
Ians

Postby gliffaes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:42 am

Ians wrote:Looks like a good result.

Still holding up ok, this is one of two wells you can read that story on the forum previous.
Its produces about 1000 litres and hour which is s mall in well terms.
I have a second which produces 4000 litres and hour but not yet connected.
Its clear this well is not enough for irrigation in any major way but is fine for the two houses and a small amount of irrigation in emergencies etc.
So now I use the well water for the two houses and separately yet interchangeable the village water ( now through my own filter) for irrigation.
If the village water is off for a few days its no problem as I can water my pot plants form the well and this wont use enough to run it empty, trees in the ground can hold out quite sometime and the village water is never off for more than 1-4 days maximum.
The filter cuts out all the crap including small shells , shrimp, bits of debris etc as in their wisdom they decided to remove their filter at the supply end!!!
I think I severely underestimated the importance of clean/reliable water when starting the construction......it wont happen again though.
gliffaes

Previous

Return to water and plumbing