How does it work water pump

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

How does it work water pump

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 pm

OK so I have finally gotten my submersible pump 75metres down my well can anyone tell me how it works.
By this I mean it works ok pumping water but does the pump itself have some sort of switch to turn itself off and on ie if I have a tap on the end of a single water line does the pump only turn on when the tap- is opened and off when its closed ie automatic or is it a case of once the pumps turned on its gonna try and blow the tap out of the socket if not turned off.
Ta in advance.
Half Franklin pump ie motor is Franklin, pump is Super Hurricane
gliffaes

Re: How does it work water pump

Postby fredlk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:51 pm

gliffaes wrote:does the pump itself have some sort of switch to turn itself off and on

No it doesn't.
fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:33 pm

fredlk wrote:
gliffaes wrote:does the pump itself have some sort of switch to turn itself off and on

No it doesn't.

Can u make the answer a bit shorter Fred?
gliffaes

Postby MGV12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Maybe the longer version of Fred's response is or isn't http://inspectapedia.com/water/Well_Pum ... rsible.htm

A proper installation certainly wouldn't blow your cock off :shock:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm

I don't know what kind of system they use in Thailand, but this is how the pump in my New York home works.
There is a pressurized tank, The tank has two sections separated by a rubber bladder.
the larger section holds the water , and the smaller section is charged with air to a desired PSI. The air pressure in the bladder is what determines the pressure of the water to the house supply.
There is a pressure sensor, that monitors the pressure in the tank, it is connected to a controller, the controller has a high setting and a low setting,when the sensors senses low pressure, it turns the pump on, when the high pressure is reached it shuts the pump off.
The bladder in the tank has two functions,
one it dampens surge when the pump starts, so you don't get water hammering, and banging in the pipes.
two, it provides pressure in the tank for short uses so that the pump does not cycle on and off every time you use water in the house.
At least this is how I understand the system.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 pm

MGV12 wrote:Maybe the longer version of Fred's response is or isn't http://inspectapedia.com/water/Well_Pum ... rsible.htm

Ok Thanks so unless its running open ended ie irrigation it will need a tank .
Ok so my borehole is 25 metres from the house, the borehole will pump straight into a tank first right outside my house what will tell it to stop pumping into the tank , I mean do I need an electrical connection of some sort form the tank back to the borehole other than what I have now in my borehole house as if i do Im gonna have to start digging another trench from the tank back to the borehole......sigh.
A diagram would be good?
gliffaes

Postby sirineou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:15 pm

The pressurized tank I have in my house came with everything needed. we simply connected the wires from the pump to the appropriate electrical terminals on the tank controller,and the electric power from the house to the appropriate terminal on the tank controller. There was a selector for adjusting the high and low pressures
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:16 pm

gliffaes wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Maybe the longer version of Fred's response is or isn't http://inspectapedia.com/water/Well_Pum ... rsible.htm

Ok so my borehole is 25 metres from the house, the borehole will pump straight into a tank first right outside my house what will tell it to stop pumping into the tank , I mean do I need an electrical connection of some sort form the tank back to the borehole other than what I have now in my borehole house as if i do Im gonna have to start digging another trench from the tank back to the borehole......sigh.
A diagram would be good?

No doubt it would and in due course Sirineou and others who sit around doing squat all day will provide one. :P :wink: :lol:

I have a split system: the pump is connected to a mechanical control that is usually set to the house supply ... the tanks have electronic level controllers and will turn the well pump on and off as required. If I turn the mechanical switch [ball valve] to the other side I will have the situation that I think you are describing ... this is just for irrigation and then the control box will control [funny that] the supply. If I forget to turn the valve back to 'house' after watering the garden the control box will sense that and after a small delay shut the pump down. The technical version is available on the link I supplied [probably as I didn't read your question on the other thread :roll: ] plus many others available via search engines :) :) :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:19 pm

MGV12 wrote:
gliffaes wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Maybe the longer version of Fred's response is or isn't http://inspectapedia.com/wate r/Well_Pump_Operation_Submersible.htm

No doubt it would and in due course Sirineou and others who sit around doing squat all day will provide one. :P :wink: :lol:

What do you mean I dont do squat? :x I have you know squat is all I do :D
unfortunately I am only signed off from work for a couple of weeks more, Unless my doctor says otherwise, Then back to work I am :(
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 pm

gliffaes wrote:
fredlk wrote:

No it doesn't.

I try to be to the point and not waffle or elaborate on what is a very simple 2 letter word but as I said in one of my previous replies to you, "Who needs short shrift?" Not me so forget I answered your question.
My new answer is YES let it run when you switch off the tap. It will work a treat! :lol:
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:46 pm

gliffaes wrote:

A diagram would be good?

How about this one with everything in the pump house.

http://kwhrmeter.blogspot.com/2013/05/s ... n-and.html
Attachments
submersible pump parts.png
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby gliffaes » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:23 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
gliffaes wrote:

A diagram would be good?

How about this one with everything in the pump house.

http://kwhrmeter.blogspot.com/2013/05/s ... n-and.html

Thx Bill for the "sensible" answer :wink: perfect
gliffaes

Postby sirineou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Plenty of well pump how to videos on YouTube
probably more than you will ever want to now :D
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:24 am

gliffaes wrote:
fredlk wrote:

No it doesn't.

Gliffaes ! That started my day off with a laugh.
Mike Judd

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:32 am

gliffaes wrote:

A diagram would be good?

You can get an electrical float switch that you install in your storage tank. That you wire into the electric supply to the pump (no digging needed). Depending on where your current switch is you may be able to use that connection.

This system is better than the pressure bladder system as with that when you have no power you have no water, except for the minimal amount in the pressure vessel.

With the float switch if you mount the tank high enough you will have a gravity feed when the power is out.

Take a look at Fred's thread for full info on it.
Sometimewoodworker

Next

Return to water and plumbing