Cycling water pump

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Cycling water pump

Postby expatriate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 am

Hi,

The water pump in my rental house is the standard type with a built in pressure tank. It is very old and is prone to getting water logged, so I vent out the water every few months.

Lately it's taken to cycling on for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so. There is no evidence of any kind of leak in or outside the house nor a sealing problem inside the toilets. The house itself is not old so the water pipes should be okay. Is it possible this is due to further deterioration of some kind inside the pump?

Thank you!
expatriate

Re: Cycling water pump

Postby pattayapope » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 pm

You could try and drain the water from the pressure tank below the pump and see if it stops cycling so often, if this does not cure it you may have a non performing check valve in the system. If you can post a picture of what you have maybe we can give some advice[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby Ians » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:43 pm

if the tank has been drained and you seem well aware of this fix-up, then it is more than likely an internal valve leaking from the high pressure side back to the inlet side. maybe time for a good over-haul.
Ians

Postby expatriate » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:46 am

Ian, Is your avatar a TR-3?

The pump - drained it again and the cycling stopped!! Guess I didn't do it right the last time or something. This is an old, old, 3,000 baht pump. If it comes to that, are there really shops that would overhaul them? If it was me, I'd buy a new one but I'm renting this place for another 5 months or so.

Thanks, everyone.
expatriate

Postby Ians » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:08 pm

expatriate wrote:Ian, Is your avatar a TR-3?

The pump - drained it again and the cycling stopped!! Guess I didn't do it right the last time or something. This is an old, old, 3,000 baht pump. If it comes to that, are there really shops that would overhaul them? If it was me, I'd buy a new one but I'm renting this place for another 5 months or so.

Thanks, everyone.

For 5 months maybe just bear with it.

It's a TR3A 1958 model, extensively worked, big bore, cam, 2 x 40 webbers, suspension mods, TR6 60 spoke wheels, TR4 diff. (wider track) - sigh sigh sigh no longer mine :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( .
Ians

Postby expatriate » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:07 pm

I was once the original owner of a TR3-A. Man, I loved that car except almost froze to death showing it off to the GF at the time driving on the highway outside of Montreal in the middle of winter. Kept it stock except for a custom grill and had plans to change to Webbers and some other stuff but they never materialized. I liked the heavy oversteer - made it fun and easy to drift around corners so there were no plans to change suspension.

Traded it in on a MG-B which was something I soon regretted - like about a week afterwards! :(
expatriate

Postby Ians » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:19 pm

expatriate wrote:I was once the original owner of a TR3-A. Man, I loved that car except almost froze to death showing it off to the GF at the time driving on the highway outside of Montreal in the middle of winter. Kept it stock except for a custom grill and had plans to change to Webbers and some other stuff but they never materialized. I liked the heavy oversteer - made it fun and easy to drift around corners so there were no plans to change suspension.

Traded it in on a MG-B which was something I soon regretted - like about a week afterwards! :(

You should have been whipped and dragged thru the snow by the xxxx'x for such a senseless move - pleased to see you understood the error of your ways.
Ians

Postby justin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Lately it's taken to cycling on for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so. There is no evidence of any kind of leak in or outside the house nor a sealing problem inside the toilets. The house itself is not old so the water pipes should be okay. Is it possible this is due to further deterioration of some kind inside the pump?

Postby Ians » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:45 pm

justin wrote:Lately it's taken to cycling on for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so. There is no evidence of any kind of leak in or outside the house nor a sealing problem inside the toilets. The house itself is not old so the water pipes should be okay. Is it possible this is due to further deterioration of some kind inside the pump?

Why have you repeated expatriate's original message word for word - same problem?

Deterioration - NO.

Did you read the post from the start :idea: :?: . it more than likely answers your question. adding anything else will just be repeating what has already been advised.
Ians

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:55 pm

If you have no external leak and on a well the foot valve could be leaking if from a tank your check valve in the pump could be leaking, if that a simple matter to remove the plunger then check for a cracked washer or something preventing the valve from seating.

Here is the Hitachi check valve cover most are the same. Don't loose the spring.
Attachments
Image0063.jpg
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Guess I too should read what was before. :mrgreen:
BKKBILL

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Looks like a spam post
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Looks like a spam post

After posting the same thought went thru' my head - but then I thought - you would either have to be hard up for something to spam picking a cycling pump or maybe just plain stupid.

Lets wait and see :)
Ians

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:03 pm

After looking I'm going with spam. Must be slowing down in me old age. :mrgreen:
BKKBILL

Postby Ians » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:19 am

It was either spam or we frightened Justin off., :lol:
Ians

Return to water and plumbing