PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- update

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby Psychic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks, good to know.
Psychic

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:51 pm

thailazer wrote:Cut some pieces to throw as dog toys but they would burst on impact. Quite unlike the green PP-R pieces which do not get brittle and are much tougher for the dog to destroy.

PP-R for dog toys sacrilegious I say. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby thailazer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:32 am

BKKBILL wrote:
thailazer wrote:Cut some pieces to throw as dog toys but they would burst on impact. Quite unlike the green PP-R pieces which do not get brittle and are much tougher for the dog to destroy.

PP-R for dog toys sacrilegious I say. :mrgreen:

Quality pipe for a quality dog! :wink:
thailazer

Postby pipoz » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi

If I want to use the Annealed Copper Pipe (such as the one that come in the coil back in Oz, available at Bunnings, i.e Syneco or Kembla Copper Tube) for my Bathroom Hot and Cold water plumbing pipework, can I find something similar along with the Copper Fittings at either Global House or Thaiwatsadu or Home Pro etc?

pipoz
Attachments
Bunnings Annealed Copper Pipe.jpg
Annealed Copper Pipe
Bunnings Annealed Copper Pipe.jpg (6.06 KiB) Viewed 712 times
pipoz

Postby thailazer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:53 am

pipoz wrote:Hi

If I want to use the Annealed Copper Pipe (such as the one that come in the coil back in Oz, available at Bunnings, i.e Syneco or Kembla Copper Tube) for my Bathroom Hot and Cold water plumbing pipework, can I find something similar along with the Copper Fittings at either Global House or Thaiwatsadu or Home Pro etc?

pipoz

Pipoz... Have not seen it at Global House but almost any solar water heater supplier can sell you what you need. Be forewarned it is very expensive. I would suggest going with the welded PP-R pipe as it about the most rugged and foolproof method you can find in Thailand.
thailazer

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:37 pm

If I can bring this subject of hot water piping back to life. :)

I have been getting some personal opinions and views on a local forum about hot water pipes and have been to investigate.

The Thai PPR pipe and fittings are readily available and reasonably cheap but they only sell the heat welded system and a you need a 3k baht heat gun :shock: to put it together.

Despite being informed they also have a clicklock/pushfit system which is everyones preferred surely? none of the major stores are stocking it.?

I also looked at a German product Pimaflex, a flexible pvc coated aluminium. Very high quality and comes with a naturally higher price and works very similar to the UK flexipipe and pushfit/cliklok systems. Its bendable so you can reduce your number of 90s. no special tools other than the pipe cutter.

I only have a dozen metres of hot water to distribute and I would prefer the green pipe and pushfits but then the heat welded as second choice (does anyone wish to lend me a heat welder)

Apart from the Pimaflex, which I will try are there any other satisfactory methods of hot water distribution. :?:

ps:I went into one store with all the pipes and tubing racked out; and couldnt believe my eyes when I spotted copper pipes ; although stood well back it looked like microbore. Just stood there smiling and then went to check the price.....ooh thats expensive so I picked it up.

it was the copper earthing rod. :oops:
really must use my specs more often
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:51 pm

eyecatcher wrote:ps:I went into one store with all the pipes and tubing racked out; and couldnt believe my eyes when I spotted copper pipes ; although stood well back it looked like microbore. Just stood there smiling and then went to check the price.....ooh thats expensive so I picked it up.

it was the copper earthing rod. :oops:
really must use my specs more often

I have seen copper pipe in Global house in the past, but no fittings, though it's probably cheaper to buy the PP-R welder and pipe than to use copper :roll: :?
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MGV12 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:09 pm

I did see copper pipe [1/2" etc for plumbing] a while back in an old-fashioned large hardware store on the road from the super highway to Narawat Bridge ... sorry don't know the name. If you are heading west on the super highway the first San Kamphaeng junction you turn right and the shop is on the left a few hundred metres from the junction ... if you reach Bangkok Bank you have passed it ... think it's about halfway between the SH and the Ping bridge. There are a couple of similar shops [and a good wood place close by on the other side of the road] the copper was in racks at the rear of the shop. Didn't ask about price or fittings but it's worth calling in as they have a good range of 'stuff' that you don't see in the likes of Global et al.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Fusion welded PP-R pipe and fittings are in my opinion superior to a mechanical joint relying on an “O” ring for it’s seal. The fusion joint makes pipe and fitting as one and is the most popular one used here..

I have a Fusion welded you can use.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby pipoz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:34 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Fusion welded PP-R pipe and fittings are in my opinion superior to a mechanical joint relying on an “O” ring for it’s seal. The fusion joint makes pipe and fitting as one and is the most popular one used here..

I have a Fusion welded you can use.

I eventually used the Thai PP-R Heat Welded pipework system, for both Hot and Cold water. Very easy to use and quick to install. TB 3,000 for the welding equipment, as shown in Picture :lol:

pipoz
Attachments
Heat Welded Pipe Work System in Ensuite JP - 01.jpg
Heat Welded Pipe Work System in Ensuite JP - 01
Heat Welded Pipe Work System in Ensuite JP -02.jpg
Heat Welded Pipe Work System in Ensuite JP -02
Heat Welded Pipe Work System in Ensuite JP -03.jpg
Heat Welded Pipe Work System in Ensuite JP -03
pipoz

Postby jazzman » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:21 pm

I have this system. Purchased in HomePro a couple of years ago. Used it (or rather my chang did after I showed him how to do it) when converting my bungalows to multi-point hot water systems for the showers and wash basins to use mixer taps. Easy to use. Excellent results.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby PNGeo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:22 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi

pipoz

Do Home (stores in Udon and Ubon; maybe elsewhere but I'm not sure) have 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch copper pipe. It is the thin-walled type normally used for airconditioning but I believe it is fine for hot water use. I bought a couple of coils of 1/2 inch pipe which is ample to do my new house. If I recall correctly, there is about 15m in a coil. I suppose this pipe could/would wear out faster than the thicker walled copper hot water pipe that we know in Oz but I am confident it will outlive me! I am going to use compression-style brass fittings; on my last few trips back to Oz, I have picked up a good selection of these fittings from Bunnings and brought them back with me.
PNGeo

PP-R vs. Copper for interior piping

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:36 am

Hello,

Other than cost and availability (which I do understand are big factors) is their benefit to one over the other?

I was planning on running copper, which I am most familiar with. However, someone (not a builder or professional) told me that the minerals in the water in Thailand would deteriorate the copper pipe much more quickly than uPVC or PP-R. I suppose I could run one material for cold and another for hot, if temperature is relevant to the durability and life.

Thanks in advance,
-k-
kmanonmaui

Re: PP-R vs. Copper for interior piping

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:10 am

kmanonmaui wrote:Hello,

Other than cost and availability (which I do understand are big factors) is their benefit to one over the other?

I was planning on running copper, which I am most familiar with. However, someone (not a builder or professional) told me that the minerals in the water in Thailand would deteriorate the copper pipe much more quickly than uPVC or PP-R. I suppose I could run one material for cold and another for hot, if temperature is relevant to the durability and life.

Thanks in advance,
-k-

Cost is ridiculous, availability is virtually zero, there are almost no fittings available,

PP-R is ubiquitous, and reasonabley priced, welding machines and fittings are everywhere. Push fit virtually nowhere.
PP-R is available for hot water as well.

There is another system of plastic coated aluminium pipe.
Sometimewoodworker

Re: PP-R vs. Copper for interior piping

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:49 am

[/quote]Cost is ridiculous, availability is virtually zero, there are almost no fittings available,
PP-R is ubiquitous, and reasonabley priced, welding machines and fittings are everywhere. Push fit virtually nowhere.
PP-R is available for hot water as well.
[/quote]

Thanks. That certainly makes the decision a "no-brainer". PP-R it is !
kmanonmaui

PreviousNext

Return to water and plumbing