PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- update

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:54 pm

PP-R push-fit fittings should not cause any problems if as mentioned the installer does it correctly.

I have just finished installing a system using PP-R red stripe PN20.
Due to the wall thickness you really should use a minimum size of 3/4” (25mm) if supplying more that one fixture. Purchased most of the pipe and fitting at Home Expert on the inner ring road in Chiang Mai. Home Mart on the Super Highway also has stock.

Bought the fusion welding machine as I wanted to do my own installation knowing what my builders were capable of and having done this type of welding some thirty years ago.

As for the white stripe pipe, it is rated for High Pressure the reason I used the red stripe is it has an extra liner moulded into the pipe
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2947
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby thailazer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:50 pm

BKKBILL wrote:PP-R push-fit fittings should not cause any problems if as mentioned the installer does it correctly.

I have just finished installing a system using PP-R red stripe PN20.
Due to the wall thickness you really should use a minimum size of 3/4” (25mm) if supplying more that one fixture. Purchased most of the pipe and fitting at Home Expert on the inner ring road in Chiang Mai. Home Mart on the Super Highway also has stock.

Bought the fusion welding machine as I wanted to do my own installation knowing what my builders were capable of and having done this type of welding some thirty years ago.

As for the white stripe pipe, it is rated for High Pressure the reason I used the red stripe is it has an extra liner moulded into the pipe

Bill.... Did you happen to notice if they carry the SLYM snap on fittings as well?
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:40 pm

thailazer wrote:Bill.... Did you happen to notice if they carry the SLYM snap on fittings as well?


Didn’t see any PPR SLYM fittings but MGV12 commented he got his from " the distributor near the Renault dealer, just off the Super Highway by the airport turn off".

I have a fusion tool if you are into that kind of work. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2947
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby thailazer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Never used one so I don't count myself as a "qualified borrower!" I just watched a demo of the welding machine and it looks like it simply heats both ends to the melting point and then you jam them together. I thought it would have been more like the black PE tubing welders that put a Python-mandrel grip on the fittings as the heat them up.
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 pm

thailazer wrote:Never used one so I don't count myself as a "qualified borrower!" I just watched a demo of the welding machine and it looks like it simply heats both ends to the melting point and then you jam them together.

That really is about it.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2947
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby MGV12 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:43 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
thailazer wrote:Bill.... Did you happen to notice if they carry the SLYM snap on fittings as well?


Didn’t see any PPR SLYM fittings but MGV12 commented he got his from " the distributor near the Renault dealer, just off the Super Highway by the airport turn off".



That's the only place I have come across in CM to buy them but you could call the manufacturer to see if there's anyone else - details on their website http://www.uhm.co.th/product/sub_catego ... 161322_844

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby thailazer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:44 pm

I suppose the 8000 baht tool has a thermostat to get the plastic to the exact correct bonding temperature. A propane torch might be able to do the same thing!
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby pattayapope » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 am

I would not use a propane torch, a friend bought the special tool from Home Works and he paid either 3000 or 3500 baht, I think it is a basic model wich is limited to certain sizes of pipe, the more expensive model comes in a fancy wooden box. Very easy to use, you just mark the pipe with a special tool (gauge) and push the pipe and fitting into the heated madril and when it melts to the mark you just push the two pieces together, from what I remember the high temperature pipe has a red strip running down it.
pattayapope
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Huai Yai Chonburi

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby MGV12 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm

thailazer wrote:A propane torch might be able to do the same thing!


And would almost guarantee leaks .... which somewhat defeats the object!

If you are going to fusion-weld buy [or rent if you can] the correct tool ... otherwise go push-fit.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby thailazer » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Well, I was joking about the propane torch. Rather tough to heat the inside of the pipe you know.
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Personally i thought you would be better with a gas soldering iron :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: How often does an off the cuff remark go down the wrong road :lol: :lol: :lol: but its given you some options :idea:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby MGV12 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:40 pm

thailazer wrote:Well, I was joking about the propane torch. Rather tough to heat the inside of the pipe you know.


No worries ... you would [maybe] be amazed at what I have seen people do over the years; attempting to save money but ending up spending a darn sight more.

TV production companies have made a fortune out of them with their disaster series.

In emergency situations I've done some of them myself ... but only as a temporary fix.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby geordie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:11 am

Mgv12 your one of these bloke,s that closes up cracked lead water pipes by gently peening with a hammer :lol: :lol: the stuff i liked was denso tape the gas board seem to be the only source of it these days works well on water as well though :) :) but greasy horible stuff to apply
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby Psychic » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Resurrecting an old thread here.
So despite what was mentioned earlier, welded PPR pipe with the red stripe is ok for hot water? Also if connecting with standard blue PVC from, for instance, the local water supply is there a special glue or are they joined with a threaded type union? Unlikely to matter since the local or well water will run to a tank and I can run PPR out of that but I was just curious in case it comes up.
Psychic
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Re: PP-R pipe for hot water with push-fit connectors -- upda

Postby thailazer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:03 am

Yes, the PP-R is used for hot water, and about the only thing you can use in Thailand besides steel or copper for hot water. The way to hook up to the blue PVC is with the use of a threaded end on both runs and then use a union to connect them up. In place of a union you could just put in a valve.

We have three years on our PP-R piping (welded) and it is fantastic. Interesting to note that some of the blue PVC we had stored (out of the sun BTW) during that time has gotten quite brittle. Cut some pieces to throw as dog toys but they would burst on impact. Quite unlike the green PP-R pieces which do not get brittle and are much tougher for the dog to destroy.
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to water and plumbing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron