Concrete posts

Specific to perimeter walls as of 17-May-05. If you're a reader in this phase of construction check in and update us on your thinking. Anything related to perimeter wall, entry gates, wire fencing or security.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Concrete posts

Postby Bangyai » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:58 pm

My wife has put up the money to have her sister put a wall and gate across the front of her plot to stop the dogs chasing motorcycles and to keep other dogs out.

The brother in law has already put in two gate posts but I noticed that he has put in the posts with the precast holes pointing away from what is going to be the wall. I always thought these holes were put there specifically so that you could tie in the breeze block wall with the post.

So....am I wrong or has he put the posts in wrong. You can see from the attached picture that the wall will run from his post to ours next to the water meter. ( ours is the white post just out of picture behind pump.)
Attachments
wall.jpg
Bangyai

Re: Concrete posts

Postby jazzman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Yes, these holes are for ties for brickwork or attaching fencing. They should be facing the other way.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:30 pm

jazzman wrote:Yes, these holes are for ties for brickwork or attaching fencing. They should be facing the other way.

Thanks. I was sure this was the case but the dimwit brother in law was so sure they were just for easy lifting I began to doubt common sense.
Bangyai

Postby olavhome » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Hopefully you can drill new holes for the rebar so dont need to turn them around.
You know thai people always know the best, specially Family :-)
olavhome

Postby jazzman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Be careful how you drill through. If they are quality posts, there will be some rebar inside.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Bangyai » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm

jazzman wrote:Be careful how you drill through. If they are quality posts, there will be some rebar inside.

Yep....I know this from when I put up our own perimeter wall and had to drill a lot of holes for the fencing on top of the brickwork.

I asked dimwit ( just for a laugh ) where he wanted to drill his holes. Instead of in the center avoiding the rebar, he market out two parallel points that are dead in line with the rebar. I pointed this out but he said

' no problem , my friends drill will go straight through the rebar '

And how deep does he want the holes ? I suggested 1 inch would be enough. But no, he wants to drill right through the post and out the other side !!

Unbelievable that he has been working as a builders mate for the last year , laying bricks and rendering. :roll:
Bangyai

Return to perimeter wall