FURNITURE

Any ideas for a new thread? Put them here.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

FURNITURE

Postby Andyfteeze » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:11 am

A thread on furniture, where to buy and whats available. Such places as Ban Tawai, Nan or retailers such as Index (IKEA in drag) and Home pro
Andyfteeze

Re: FURNITURE

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:A thread on furniture, where to buy and whats available. Such places as Ban Tawai, Nan or retailers such as Index (IKEA in drag) and Home pro

There already are a couple of posts in the wood and woodworking forum.

Don't you think that that might be a good location?

The description could be modified if there is enough interest.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kmanonmaui » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:A thread on furniture, where to buy and whats available. Such places as Ban Tawai, Nan or retailers such as Index (IKEA in drag) and Home pro

Not sure what area you are in, but we flew to Bangkok and went to a place they call "Soi Wood", actually two roads riddled with great hardwood furniture dealers with samples of what they manufacture. Pricey, but we felt well worth it. We purchased 4 rockers, 4 wardrobe closets, dressers and some night stands. Took a month for them to manufacture and deliver, but happy with our purchase.

We bought some other items in Udon. If you want more details PM me and I'll dig up the receipts and names of the places.

-k-
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:

Not sure what area you are in, but we flew to Bangkok and went to a place they call "Soi Wood", actually two roads riddled with great hardwood furniture dealers with samples of what they manufacture. Pricey, but we felt well worth it. We purchased 4 rockers, 4 wardrobe closets, dressers and some night stands. Took a month for them to manufacture and deliver, but happy with our purchase.

We bought some other items in Udon. If you want more details PM me and I'll dig up the receipts and names of the places.

-k-

Soi Wood or Wood Street otherwise known as Bang Pho is rather more than two streets, I've marked the main area on the maps under.

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:25 pm

We went to Nan province on the weekend from Chiang Mai. We stopped in Den Chai at a furniture makers house. A teak bed was quoted at 10,000bt. In Chiang Mai at Ban Tawai more like 20,000bt. Then went further on down the highway into town and found 2 massive furniture places on opposite sides of the road. Beds for 8,000bt. On the way back from Nan, we saw another place just as we entered Den Chai. Beds for 6500bt. All teak. Sure it can depend on quality of finish too.
We ended up placing an order for 100,000bt of furniture, all teak and some custom made to our specs.
Index (Ikea) furniture would be the same cost but made of melamine board and a much higher standard of finish. But there is a charm to handmade teak furniture made to a good standard. I am always reminded teak will last a hundred years. My response is that i am paying for someone else to enjoy 2/3rds of its life were as i pay the full quid and only use 1/3. :lol: :lol:

I now realise it may have been part of woodworking, but working with wood is different enough to shopping for furniture. I dont have an interest in working with wood but i do have an interest in nice furniture.
Andyfteeze

Postby Andyfteeze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Another area to visit for furniture is Lampun. Head towards Lampang. When you see the the Big Buddha on the right you turn into the well posted light- blue- billboarded soi on the left. Follow the road for about 3 km and you arrive at a furniture making village with lots and lots of outlets.
The furniture here is probably B grade quality but that's yours to decide.
Andyfteeze

Return to suggestions for new threads