Thai contractor White List / Yellow Pages

Any ideas for a new thread? Put them here.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Thai contractor White List / Yellow Pages

Postby promsan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Has anyone ever considered compiling a database of reputable contractors and suppliers in Thailand?

I mean, if you were to hire a builder in your own country, you'd probably want to see examples of their past work.

I realise it might fall foul of the "not wanting to advertise rule", but perhaps there's an acceptable way of people sort of rating their experiences with particular people or companies...? specifically suppliers and contracters who'd like as much not advertise on the internet anyway.

My thinking is that it could only be a positive thing for local contractors to understand the expectations of potential farang customers and for more of them to work towards them.

Perhaps I'm being a bit naive and optimistic?

Any thoughts anyone?
promsan

Re: Thai contractor White List / Yellow Pages

Postby thaifly » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:59 pm

promsan wrote:
Any thoughts anyone?
andmore importantly why not a black page for the RIP OFF CONTRACTORS ETC ETC..its aka THE MUD MONKEY..AND MR REES AND NOW PROMSAN..its a TRIPLE IDENTITY GIDDAY...to all...ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby geordie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:25 pm

the forum already has a list-- of members --many people come on and ask questions about drlling wells swimming pools genral builders electricians usually a member in you area will suggest you pm him if he is satisfied with what has been done by the same token you can ask is your builder known to anyone ie good or bad it means nothing in the long run if you are a bad customer and expect too mutch you are guarenteed a bad job all anyone can say really is he did a good job for me at a reasonable cost or he did a crap job avoid him like the plague again its down to expectations and what standard of build you want how mutch knowledge of building do you have to guide your chosen contractor to acheive it you will not find british standards in thailand listing people could and would end up libelous as soon as some one fell out with a builder who may have had a previously impecable record the best bet is as you have said ask you chosen contractor to show you some of his previous work
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby promsan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:41 pm

Well I made a point of not suggesting that any "black list" should be compiled for obvious reasons... but an all positive list seems harmless enough to me.
I was just thinking, if someone's good, give 'em a mention; if not, stick to "no comment" - that should say all anyone needs to know.

Surely everyone's a winner if some switched on Thai contractors and businesses realise that there's a lot more money to be made by adapting to the expectations of farangs?

I'm going to post another thread to ask about the demographics of site members, but I wonder whether there are any Brits abroad who do any building businesses here? Someone I knew, became a builder over here, and now is a house husband over there (an unlikely state of affairs in TL!).
promsan

Postby geordie » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:37 pm

a mate of mine in the land of sangria and sunshine got an expat builder paid well above local rates got well below local productivity and standards However thats not to say that even on this forum there are not good quality reliable expat builders the problem is finding one that is a good and b available the two do not go together the good guys follow straight on to their next job if a member requests the info I E i need a builder i am sure he would get somthing in the mailbox refer to above comment which looks bad( even on this forum) Meaning that there are building profesionals on the forum who will freely advise or will take profesional work but do not find it advantageos to advertise on the forum though well versed and capable of working towards expat standards and expectations however English materials are not availble in thailnd so you cannot have an english house although you can have english style spanish style Ausie style but given the diversity of the forum members no one style fits all so what would you expect from a builder
geordie

Postby peacetrain72 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:56 am

Hi All. I am new to the thai building process and all I have been told is to be there when it happens or else it will be a disaster. I have purchased a condo in central pattaya and simply want to install a front load washer dryer into the kitchen. Will need and electrical connection, re-orientation of the joinery to suit and some minor plumbing works. I am not sure how to go about doing this as I am stationed in Qatar, and other than a 7 day trip in October this year, options for me being present are limited.

I was hoping there may be a trusted source in Pattaya someone may be aware of that can proposed the best machine etc.. and provide a quality outcome. Would appreciate any feedback.

Kind
Regards
Mark
peacetrain72

Postby pattayapope » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:55 pm

The big hardware shops usually have a contractor to do the fitting other alternates are the shops that make fitted in furnature, but it would be better if you are around or a trusted friend to make sure they are not screwing things up. Most of my friends have the washing machine in the shower area in their condos because a leak can cause alot of damage. The fully automatic washer dryers use alot of water and power, did you think about a twin tub, nice and simple and a fraction of the price. Best of luck with the condo upgrades.[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:47 am

It doesn't matter who you use to do your build,or any part of it, you still need some one, yourself or who ever to over- see the work being done. This applies in any country. I have seen enough building work in England and Australia over the years to know that Supervision at all levels will get the best results. You want a good job,they want to earn as much money as they can. In western countries the competition can get fierce in times of boom and bust with all the advertising (Yellow pages etc;) there fore you can get good workmanship and bad, so you still need to be vigilant to make sure you get what you pay for. In Thailand it's probably the same around Bangkok/Phuket and Koh Sumui with so many "Farangs" around , up north around Khon Kaen I have found it so easy to get good results for so little money, but you still need to set the standards you want from the beginning . Most importantly some one who is on your side has to supervise, that's the key.!
Mike Judd

Postby old_expat » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:14 pm

thaifly wrote:
promsan wrote:
Any thoughts anyone?
andmore importantly why not a black page for the RIP OFF CONTRACTORS ETC ETC

The slander laws in Thailand.
old_expat

Postby old_expat » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:17 pm

geordie wrote:the forum already has a list-- of members --many people come on and ask questions ...

Asking questions is easy. Getting responses -- less so.
old_expat

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:38 pm

old_expat wrote:
geordie wrote:the forum already has a list-- of members --many people come on and ask questions ...

Asking questions is easy. Getting responses -- less so.

Getting an answer on a conrete mix or a ball park price on a build is not an issue however recomending a building team is a huge responsibility look how many members have been 100% happy with their builder and you have an answer as to why
The problem is any artisan is only ever as good as his last job not guaranteeing the next in any way usally
Then of course i employed farmers i was on site seven days a week stood over them i got what i paid for a reasonable home for the MIL on the other hand had it been for myself i would have been aiming a lot higher on the quality but no guarantee they could produce it so if i recomended my farmers who worked well as a team its not fair on you because you yourself know the quality of finish you desire
geordie

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:19 pm

geordie wrote:look how many members have been 100% happy with their builder

I was 100% happy with builder number 1 until one day he didn't turn up while still having many 10's of thousands of Baht of mine.
I was 100% happy with builder number 2 until one day he didn't turn up while, according to him, I owed him money.
I was 100% happy with builder number 3 until one day he didn't turn up having lost the plot.
I am 100% happy with builder number 4.
I am halfway through my build.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:41 pm

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:look how many members have been 100% happy with their builder

I was 100% happy with builder number 1 until one day he didn't turn up while still having many 10's of thousands of Baht of mine.
I was 100% happy with builder number 2 until one day he didn't turn up while, according to him, I owed him money.
I was 100% happy with builder number 3 until one day he didn't turn up having lost the plot.
I am 100% happy with builder number 4.
I am halfway through my build.

Yes but through it all you have retained your sense of humour :mrgreen: almost
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:20 am

fredlk wrote:I was 100% happy with builder number 1 until one day he didn't turn up while still having many 10's of thousands of Baht of mine.

I wouldn't recommend him to anyone because he's a thief.
fredlk wrote:I was 100% happy with builder number 2 until one day he didn't turn up while, according to him, I owed him money.

I wouldn't recommend him to anyone because he's a liar.
fredlk wrote:I was 100% happy with builder number 3 until one day he didn't turn up having lost the plot.

I wouldn't recommend him to anyone because he's no good.
fredlk wrote:I am 100% happy with builder number 4.

I wouldn't recommend him to anyone because I still need him here.
fredlk

Postby Shastadad » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:21 am

peacetrain72 wrote:Hi All. I am new to the thai building process and all I have been told is to be there when it happens or else it will be a disaster. I have purchased a condo in central pattaya and simply want to install a front load washer dryer into the kitchen. Will need and electrical connection, re-orientation of the joinery to suit and some minor plumbing works. I am not sure how to go about doing this as I am stationed in Qatar, and other than a 7 day trip in October this year, options for me being present are limited.

I was hoping there may be a trusted source in Pattaya someone may be aware of that can proposed the best machine etc.. and provide a quality outcome. Would appreciate any feedback.

Kind
Regards
Mark

The first place to look is at your condo office, my condo for instance, has a standardized list of work that the condo maintenance employees are able to do. You request the job through the office, they schedule the work, and billing is through them

As already stated, most appliance shops will install what they sell, some better than others. In Pattaya, Numchai has a great installation department and they stand by their work

But, back on topic. One of the most difficult aspects of building here in Thailand is the lack of resources to find qualified contractors or subs. As the TG states, "everything here is mouth to mouth " (word of mouth)
Shastadad

Return to suggestions for new threads