Green Themes (Solar, Wind, Rain Water Harvesting, Etc)

Any ideas for a new thread? Put them here.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Green Themes (Solar, Wind, Rain Water Harvesting, Etc)

Postby prathap » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:13 pm

I know many people here are looking for the most economical solutions to home building. But this often overlooks viable green issues for those who are willing to invest in them, both for the sake of doing our part to preserve the resources of Thailand and ultimately the planet we leave behind.

I will be building a group of 8 conservation conscious villas on the coast in Nakorn si Thammarat and would enjoy some exchange with others who are successfully using any systems that contribute to energy and waste reduction. Some excellent products are now on the market and, regardless of Thailand's lack of tax credits for their use, I would appreciate hearing from those who have been bold enough to begin to use them. This would include solar hot water systems, solar powered pool pumps and filtration units, grey water recycling, small wind turbines, etc. I want to incorporate many of these things from the start, not as an after thought and in a beautiful way... not as "tack-ons".

Please start a Green Theme heading for exchange of ideas, manufacturers and implementation. Thanks!
prathap

Ecology & Good Design

Postby prathap » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:31 pm

Much of what I see in environmental products look as though they have been knocked together with spare parts. I am impressed when I see environmentally focussed products that also excell at good design, from conceptual planning and mechanical engineering, down to the outer visible shell. There is no reason ecological products can't work and look good too.

Solahart solar water heaters are a good example. I first saw them in use last year during a Christmas trip to Morocco and posted some photos here. They have a distributor in Thailand and I intend to pressure my architect to integrate these into our project. As we are about 20 kms from one of the south's largest natural gas electric generating plants, he thinks I'm crazy. Electricity is cheap here. But this is not the point.

I have also been impressed with the RainBank which monitors and feeds rainwater back into the house for use in toilets, washing, etc. However, once the rainwater has been exhausted, it switches the flow to mains water. A well conceived and good looking system.

Anyone have any others?
prathap

Return to suggestions for new threads