alternative methods of construction

Any ideas for a new thread? Put them here.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

alternative methods of construction

Postby runker » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:16 am

I was wondering if anyone has tried building a house from rice straw bales? I have seen houses builts like this in the states but I have not heard of any one doing it in Thailand. I guess the hardest part would be keeping the bales dry before they can be stuccoed.
runker

straw

Postby robinT » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:06 am

they dont bale straw (rice) up here, just pile it in a heap for cattle fodder

i think you might get a lot of problem with insects and termites

I have considered a mud hut. Old rice barns were built with a daub and wattle type of construction using cowdung and straw.
robinT

Postby teletiger » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:16 pm

They bale rice straw here (Khao Yai). Depending on the season, between 23 and 30 baht per bale retail.
regards
teletiger

Postby deepee » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Our home is partly built with straw bales (wheat)
Termites should not be an issue, vermin and moisture problems will be if you don't DESIGN them out from the outset.
The bales sit on a raised plinth around our concrete pad floor.The higher off the ground the better-reducing the chances of moisture contact.Good roof over -hang is essential to reduce rain probs too.
Our structure is load bearing (the bale walls support the roof) some of out ceiling heights are nearly 4.5 mts high.
We used a very simple and cheap lime plaster coating on the bales , the same type used to preserve the Egyptian pyramids and many ancient temples in Thailand.
If you are still thinking of this type of building method work your plans thru thoroughly ,no reason why you should not come up a really cool bale house.
deepee

Postby deepee » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:16 pm

Termites should not be an issue, vermin and moisture problems will be if you don't DESIGN them out from the outset.
The bales sit on a raised plinth around our concrete pad floor.The higher off the ground the better-reducing the chances of moisture contact.Good roof over -hang is essential to reduce rain probs too.
Our structure is load bearing (the bale walls support the roof) some of out ceiling heights are nearly 4.5 mts high.
We used a very simple and cheap lime plaster coating on the bales , the same type used to preserve the Egyptian pyramids and many ancient temples in Thailand.
If you are still thinking of this type of building method work your plans thru thoroughly ,no reason why you should not come up a really cool bale house.
deepee

Postby deepee » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:16 pm

deepee

Return to suggestions for new threads